In summer you spent hours carefully cultivating your outside living space, the plants stood proud, the lawn pristine green, the bushes neatly pruned, lazy hazy summer evenings breathing in the smell of freshly cut grass….
… then winter hit and you find yourself standing helpless, watching through the window as your beautiful lawn becomes submerged under muddy rain water….
Here at Healy Fencing we believe your garden should be given the TLC treatment all year round, so we’ve put together this guide of suggestions to hopefully prevent your garden from flooding:
- Grade the ground so that it slopes away from your home, directing water towards drains or low-lying areas.
- Install drainage systems such as French drains or catch basins (also known as soakaway crates and land drains) to help channel water away from your lawn.
- Use mulch or other organic matter to help absorb excess water and reduce erosion.
- Plant water-loving plants in areas of your garden that tend to flood. These plants can tolerate wet soil and may help to absorb excess water in an environment they flourish in!
- Consider building raised beds for your plants. This can help to keep them out of standing water and improve drainage.
- If you have a pond or other water feature in your garden, make sure it is properly maintained and functioning correctly to prevent it from overflowing.
- You can also try using a sump pump to remove excess water from your garden.
If you’d like to discuss any of the above projects, we are always happy to arrange a site visit and assess the best remedy to keep your garden looking great all year round. Contact us today by calling or whatsapping 07599612399 or emailing email@example.com.